Happy Sunday !
This fabulous Ombré Chocolate Cake is perfect for any celebration. I had family over last weekend and thought it was a perfect occasion to test this recipe.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Supplies: 4 (six-inch) cake pans
- 500g of flour
- 100g of sugar
- 10g of baking powder
- 250g of butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of milk
- 100 g of cocoa powder
- 300 ml of heavy cream
- 250 g of mascarpone
- 1/2 cup of sugar
The cake batter
1 . First of all, separate the yolk from the white of each egg in two different bowl. In the yolk bowl, mix together the sugar, the melted butter and the yolk until mixture become whiter.
2 . Then add the milk, the baking powder and the flour.
3 . Add a pinch of salt into the egg white. Whip egg whites until foamy using an electric mixer.
4. Preheat the oven to 360°F. Next, butter and flour 4 (six-inch) cake pans. If you don’t have 4 pans, you can do this in batches of two.
5 . Slowly add the whipped egg to the previous mixture.
6 . Divide the batter amongst four bowls, each should weight 200g.
- For the first layer (the whitest), pour into the cake pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- For the second layer: add 15 g of cocoa powder, pour into the cake pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- For the third layer: add 35g of cocoa powder, pour into the cake pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
- For the fourth and last layer: add add the rest of cocoa powder (50g of cocoa powder), pour into the cake pan and smooth out the top with a spatula.
7. Transfer to the oven to bake for 17 to 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
8 . Let the cakes cool down for 30 minutes.
1 . In a bowl: add the mascarpone, the heavy cream and the sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
To assemble the cake:
1 . Add a layer to the base of a cake board or cutting board. Top with a few tablespoons of the frosting, smoothing it out to the edges. Repeat with the following layers.
2 . Add a few tablespoon of frosting all around the cake. Using a big off-set spatula, smooth out the sides. You can add any decorations on top of the cake, like chocolate chips or nuts. Enjoy !